ARLINGTON, Texas – The winners of the 2013 United States Bowling Congress Writing Competition have been determined.
For the 62nd annual writing competition, writers were able to submit articles in two categories –the News/Feature category and the Editorial category. Three winners were selected in each category and each winner will receive a certificate from USBC and a paid one-year membership in the International Bowling Media Association.
The News/Feature category was for non-fiction stories concerning any individual, facility, equipment or organization related to tenpin bowling involvement, or coverage of a bowling tournament or event. The winners are:
- Dennis Bergendorf, Bowlers Journal, for a feature on Nelson Burton Jr.
- Gary D’Amato, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, for a feature on the Jason Belmonte and Sean Rash rivalry
- M.F. Piraino, Syracuse Post-Standard, for a feature about a bowler’s return to the lanes after a battle with brain cancer
The Editorial category covered stories that expressed an opinion concerning a tenpin bowling-related subject. The winners are:
- Johnny Campos, Peoria Journal Star, for a story on a bowler turning his life around and returning to the sport
- Bob Johnson, Bowlers Journal, for his column on league bowling
- Michael Mazek, Bowling Center Management, for his opinion about sport leagues and bowling
Articles must have been published between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2013, to be eligible for the competition.